Frequently Asked Questions
ABOUT OUR JEWELRY
- Are James Avery ear posts hypoallergenic?
- All James Avery ear posts and ear wires on sterling silver earrings are made of nickel-free sterling silver, the same alloy used in our sterling silver jewelry. People who are not sensitive to silver or copper should not experience any allergic reaction.
- Is James Avery jewelry priced and sold by the metal weight of the design?
- James Avery jewelry is priced based on the intrinsic and artistic value of the design and the labor to create the design, as well as the metal content. Due to various jewelry making techniques such as casting, cutting, finishing and polishing, the weight of each individual piece will vary slightly. For additional information regarding the approximate weight range of a particular item, please contact Customer Service.
- Does Mr. James Avery design all the jewelry you sell?
- No, but he designs many of our pieces, and he mentors a staff of talented designers who create new items for our line.
- What can I do if I lose one earring?
- At James Avery, we know that one earring alone isn’t much good and that accidents do happen. If one of the earrings you buy from us is lost or destroyed, and it is in our current line, you can purchase another pair from us for one-half the price of the new pair plus exchange your remaining earring. The remaining item must be received for a credit to be issued. Please note: diamond earrings are not covered under this policy.
- I have selected several charms that I would like to have soldered on a charm bracelet. What do you charge for this service?
- We are happy to solder James Avery charms for you. First-time solders of our charms are complimentary. To have a James Avery charm moved or re-soldered, there is a $5.00 charge for each sterling solder and a $10.00 charge for each 14K gold solder. If you need several charms soldered to one item, please specify the location and spacing you would like for each of the charms.
- I’m not sure of my ring size. How can I find out what size I wear?
- The width of the band is an important factor to consider when measuring for a ring. Generally, a tapered ring will fit your normal ring size while a ring with a band ¼" or wider requires a half size larger. All James Avery rings are available in full and half sizes. For your convenience, download our printable Ring Size Guide or contact Customer Service to order a free set of sizing rings.
CARE & CLEANING
- How do I properly clean and care for my James Avery purchase?
- Polishing jewelry regularly will take care of most tarnishing and cleaning problems and help reduce the chance of skin irritation. We recommend a lint-free polishing cloth which we have available. If your jewelry needs a little more attention than gentle polishing, use a mild detergent and warm water with a soft brush. Avoid the use of harsh chemical dips and only allow a professional jeweler to clean your jewelry. Gemstones and pearls require special care, so we recommend they be professionally cleaned as well. To learn more, see our Care and Cleaning Guide.
- How should I properly store my jewelry?
- To minimize the chance of scratches, separate your jewelry into a compartmentalized box, and store it in one of our soft flannel pouches.
- Why does my jewelry sometimes leave a black residue on my clothing or skin?
- Certain types of cosmetics contain chemicals that can abrade your jewelry, causing a sort of metallic dust. This metallic dust often appears black and can cause smudges on your skin or clothing. To avoid this problem, put on your jewelry after applying your cosmetics.
Black smudges may also be caused by corrosion due to perspiration, exposure to salts and exposure to hydrogen sulfide gas (present in polluted air, some foodstuffs and industrial chemicals). To avoid these smudges, we recommend that you do not wear your jewelry while handling chemicals or products containing sulfur, and gently polish your jewelry often to remove tarnish.
- Why do I occasionally have skin irritation when wearing my ring?
- Some people occasionally experience a burning, itching and/or redness, usually on the skin beneath rings. This condition may be due to the build-up of soaps, detergents, waxes, and/or creams, which also cause a dulling film on your jewelry. To avoid skin irritation and to keep your jewelry bright, do not wear your rings when using cleaning products or lotions, and clean your rings frequently.
- I saw an item I wanted in last year’s catalog, but now I can’t find it in the current catalog. Is it still possible to order this item?
- Yes, if it is still in our active line. We have limited space in our catalogs and we try to highlight new items introduced in our line plus many of our best selling items. All items in our active line may be viewed online. Prices are subject to change without notice. Please contact Customer Service if you have any questions.
- I placed my order yesterday, but today I found another item I want to add to my order. What should I do?
- Once an order is completed, the next order is treated as a totally separate order. Another order will have to be placed. If the item(s) are in stock, we will ship within 24 hours.
- Do you have James Avery gift cards?
- Yes, we have gift cards available and you may order our gift cards in predetermined amounts. You may order a James Avery gift card online, in-store or by calling Customer Service.
- How do I check the balance of my gift card?
- You may check the balance of your gift card online or contact Customer Service for further assistance.
- I am purchasing a gift online. Do you have gift packaging?
- We will enclose the jewelry you select in a protective flannel pouch inside our signature James Avery coral box. Your gift is then placed inside a coral organza bag for gift presentation. If you wish, we will add your personal message on an enclosed card. These services are complimentary, of course. At James Avery we want to make your gift giving as special --- and as easy --- as we can.
- I have a relative in the Armed Forces. Can you ship to them?
- Yes, we can ship by standard delivery service to APO/FPO addresses. Charges vary and we are prohibited from shipping to some foreign countries.
RETURNS & EXCHANGES
- What is the James Avery Guarantee of satisfaction?
- Each piece of James Avery jewelry in our current line is guaranteed to satisfy you in every way. If for any reason an item in our current line does not meet your full expectations, just return it in new condition with proof of purchase within 60 days for a refund, exchange, or James Avery gift card. After 60 days, or without proof of purchase, items in our current line that are in new condition are eligible for exchange or a James Avery gift card only. Please note: special Made-to-Order and engraved items are non-returnable.
- Can I return, exchange, or have an item refurbished?
- Yes, as long as it complies with our guarantee. For all returns, exchanges, and product care services we recommend you ship your merchandise using UPS, FedEx or U.S. Mail. Additional shipping charges are required to process your exchange. Please insure all items for the full retail price. If you are returning an item for credit or exchange, please include your credit card number and expiration date to enable us to process your request promptly. We offer minor alterations on most of our items, refurbishing and sizing at a reasonable fee.
For UPS and FedEx Delivery:
145 Avery Road N
Kerrville, Texas 78028
- Do you offer franchises or wholesale dealerships?
- No, we do not offer franchises or wholesale dealerships. All James Avery retail stores are company owned and operated.
- Who do I contact about job opportunities?
- For current job opportunities please visit our Careers Page. For more information or to speak to an Employment Specialist, please call our Human Resources department at 1-800-522-2303.
- May people see the place where your jewelry is made?
- Yes! We welcome visitors at our headquarters in Kerrville, where you may view a video about the company and see where some of the jewelry is made. The time to visit is between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Please note: Although the visitors’ center is open on Saturday, our manufacturing group does not usually work this day.